Sears Woods State Nature Preserve is located at 1486 Mt Zion Road and has a fantastic hiking trail that has beautiful woodland views and also follows the Sandusky River.
Many birds migrating from southern wintering grounds stop by Crawford County as a temporary way station or as a summer home.
In 1837, Mr. Abraham Hahn uncovered the perfect skeletal remains of a mastodon in Bucyrus. The approximate location was west of the current Transco building. The weight of the upper jaw and skull was 160 pounds! Historical accounts claim that the Bucyrus Mastodon skeleton burned in a fire at New York’s Barnum Museum.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Crawford county has a total area of 403 square miles (1,040 km2), of which 402 square miles (1,040 km2) is land and 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) (0.2%) is water. It is the fourth-smallest county in Ohio by total area. Crawford county is drained by the Sandusky and Olentangy Rivers.
Crawford County was named in honor of Colonel William Crawford who was a staunch defender of the white settlers from the attacks of Indians. He was finally captured by the Indians while in command of an expedition returning from Sandusky, Ohio and tortured until he died.
The Crawford Park District holds a Living History Event each year in the late spring/early summer with a reenactment of the capture of Colonel Crawford.